Heading West, News, Jobs and Updates for 4/25/2013
Well, it’s official.
We’ve mourned the loss of Post Novi long enough.
It’s time for us to head back to that side of town for an event, and we think we’ve got a location picked out that should work nicely.
But that’s still a few weeks off, and in the meantime, we’ve naturally got a few blog entries for you, a recap from our event last week at Blackfinn, the usual chatter and jobs in our LinkedIn group and more.
So let’s go ahead and get started…
Lucky Strike (or just “Lucky’s”, as some call it) in Fountainwalk.
5:01pm start time, just like always.
We’re taking over the entire front area…actually, you know what? Let’s keep this simple – anything and everything you need to know is already published out on the event page: http://www.itinthed.com/event/may-casual-networking-social-2013/
Go forth, read, and we’ll see you on May 16th.
As always, details can also be found out on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ITintheD, or in our Meetup group at http://meetup.itinthed.com. Details on all of our upcoming events will always hit our site first, so you’ll want to pay attention to our events page at http://www.itinthed.com/our-events/. Anything late-breaking or last-minute will tend to be posted on our Facebook page (again – http://www.facebook.com/ITintheD) and on our twitter feed at http://www.twitter.com/ITintheD, so you might want to “like” and “follow” us on those platforms, respectively.
On the event front, our casual networking event for professionals in and around the metro Detroit information technology community at Blackfinn last week was solid. There’s a full recap over at http://www.itinthed.com/5142/april-2013-networking-event-recap/ if you’d like to catch up.
On the blogs front, what should you do when you get a counter-offer? You ignore it, that’s what you do. Why? Head over to http://www.itinthed.com/3409/the-dating-corollary-i-can-change-and-other-lies/ and read The Dating Corollary: I Can Change and Other Lies to find out.
And you, young developer…you should probably read How Not To Suck At Being a Developer to find out…well, to find out how not to suck as a developer, that’s what.
So head on over to http://www.itinthed.com/2456/how-not-to-suck-at-being-a-developer/ and read.
So now let’s take a look at our LinkedIn group, which lives over at http://www.linkedin.com/groups/ITintheDorg-Detroit-Networking-Events-IT-91763
– A pretty interesting conversation has evolved about whether or not college is worth it, and why many kids are skipping it: http://lnkd.in/xUkd7M
– Why oversharing online is a bad idea: http://lnkd.in/DFw-Eg
– The continuing chat about H1B reform: http://lnkd.in/sAkFC6
Jobs? Yep, jobs too. And I’m going to get on my soapbox for a moment here, so bear with me. As usual, this doesn’t apply to most of you, but it’s starting to happen on a regular enough basis that it’s getting under my skin.
So two things here.
1. Recruiters…seriously…what part of “metro Detroit jobs ONLY” do you not understand? We don’t care that your client in Phoenix is awesome. We don’t care if it’s a great gig in California. NOT. IN. OUR. GROUP. It’s really that simple. Metro Detroit, or at least Michigan, jobs only. That’s it. Nothing more. If it’s not in the mitten, it ain’t gonna be hittin’. If it’s not in the glove, you ain’t gettin’ no love. We’ve already had to lock down about seven folks in the past week to “requires moderation before posts appear”, so if you’re not seeing your posts appear…that’s probably why.
2. Some of you really need to go read The 10 Commandments of Networking – http://www.itinthed.com/2697/the-new-and-improved-10-commandments-of-networking/. You want to know why your job postings aren’t getting much traffic or response? Probably because nobody knows who you are, since all you do is drive-by post gigs and then flitter off elsewhere to do the same thing. And sure, you can do that to your heart’s content, but it’s not going to do you all that much good. This group is about networking, and just like we used to tell the job seekers that they would get the most and biggest benefit out of coming to our events, we’re telling you the same thing. “The Lazy Job Seeker” over at http://www.itinthed.com/201/the-lazy-job-seeker/ really doesn’t require too much tweaking to have “The Lazy Recruiter” see the light of day. And we’re not trying to be jerks here…we’re really just trying to help you be successful.
There. Phew. That’s off my chest.
Now, as to jobs, you can find them in the Job Discussions area, or just by clicking here: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?careerDiscussion=&gid=91763
See you in a couple weeks at Lucky’s: http://www.itinthed.com/our-events/
Bob, Dave and Jeff
On the web: http://www.itinthed.com
On LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=91763
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ITintheD
On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ITintheD
On Meetup: http://meetup.itinthed.com