TONIGHT: Pink Slip Party in Detroit – Networking, Jobs, Updates and More for 3/13/13
“Toniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight’s the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight…” – Rod Stewart
Okay people…let’s do this thing.
It’s been just about nine months since our last Pink Slip Party took place over at Woody’s in June of 2012, and yet again, it’s pretty clear that anticipation for one has been building.
We’ve got a whole bunch of recruiters showing up looking to hire. Another crowd coming to hang out, chat, meet people in the industry and make some new connections. A ton of people coming to look for jobs. With the news breaking yesterday that Entertainment shut down without warning and laid off the entire staff…well, that’s a couple hundred more people that we’re hoping to help tonight as well.
So let’s just dive in, folks. We’ve got a whole lot of ground to cover and just a matter of hours before we meet up at St Andrews Hall tonight…
Let’s get the basics out of the way.
St Andrews Hall.
5:01pm start time.
Whether you’re looking to hire, get hired, or just meet some of the best and brightest here in the metro Detroit information technology industry, this is where you need to be.
Details like the address, parking information, etc., can all be found over on our events page.
If you missed it, Dave was in-studio with 96.3fm WDVD on Monday morning for their Back 2 Work segment talking about tonight’s event and providing some details you might want to know. You can catch the audio in the embedded Youtube clip here: http://www.ITintheD.org/index.php/5072/dave-on-96-3-wdvd-this-morning-discussing-wednesdays-pink-slip-party/
Now…the question that always gets asked: What should I know before I come to one of these?
Gotta admit, that question always kind of stumps me. Mostly because there’s a bunch we want you to know before you show up for the very first time, but we know that’s not always practical. So let’s give this a shot.
Anything late-breaking will likely be posted on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ITintheD) and/or our Twitter feed (http://www.twitter.com/ITintheD), so do yourself a favor and make sure you’re connected with us on both platforms by liking our page and following us. That’s not a shameless, self-serving plug…okay, well, maybe it is a little bit…but if there’s one thing we’ve learned in the years of doing these events, it’s that something will happen that we want people to know about last minute before they arrive, and those two ways are our best way of doing that.
– We’re a group for those in and around the information technology industry only. You do not come to our events to pitch multi level marketing schemes, or sell insurance, or try to
eat brains…uhhhh, convince someone you can manage their 401k better for them.
– We’re going to be ever so much more neurotic and paranoid about that tonight. We get it. People hear “open bar” and they think it sounds like a great event to crash. Don’t do it. You’ll be wasting your time, our sponsors money, and the space that we’ve secured…and odds are good that we’ll have you thrown out on your butt. Let’s all avoid that unpleasantness and just understand the ground rules.
– Yes, we said “open bar”. The good folks at Arrow Strategies, Brightwing, and iTalent have all kicked in some cash so that there will be an open bar running for a while. There will also be a photobooth on site, and we encourage you to have some fun with this different little addition to our events. A photographer will also be walking around taking pictures…yes, we’ve learned our lesson and we’re not relying on ourselves this time to remember to take a few pics with our phones…so just know that’s going to be happening.
– Through the Looking Glass talks about why these aren’t job fairs: http://www.ITintheD.org/index.php/887/through-the-looking-glass/
– The 10 Commandments of Networking is the foundation of what we keep talking about constantly, and that’s at http://www.ITintheD.org/index.php/2697/the-new-and-improved-10-commandments-of-networking/
Other than that…well, we’d love it if you read and understood every single Don’t Be That Guy we’ve ever written and all of our random thoughts about Networking Basics, The Dating Corollary…and every other topic we’ve covered…but, again, we realize that’s not all that practical.
If you get the chance, hop over to our LinkedIn group: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/ITintheDorg-Detroit-Networking-Events-IT-91763
Conversations? We’ve got conversations. Everything from about nine different takes on the Yahoo / telecommuting fiasco, to whether or not people are willing to work downtown with all of the economic and political chaos taking place.
Jobs? Plenty of jobs. There are over 80 gigs posted right now over at http://www.linkedin.com/groups?careerDiscussion=&gid=91763
…and I’m sure we’ll see more and more come in over the course of the day leading up to tonight.
REMINDER: Anything late-breaking will likely be posted on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/ITintheD) and/or our Twitter feed (http://www.twitter.com/ITintheD), so do yourself a favor and make sure you’re connected with us on both platforms by liking our page and following us.
Bob, Dave and Jeff
On the web: http://www.ITintheD.org
On LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=91763
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ITintheD
On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ITintheD
On Meetup: http://meetup.ITintheD.org