Our 75th episode, and this one’s full of rants, raves, laughter and great conversations.
Lots of rants. Lots…and lots…of rants…
Thanks to our guests local entrepreneur Bradley Hoos, as well as Jimi Plouffe and Nick Daniels from Momentum for hanging out, hopping in on the rants, hanging for the laughs, and providing a lot of great information in between the outbursts, and we even had a voice from the past call in…
Over the span of three days last week, our blog entry about taking my kids to a comic book shop took just under 250,000 unique page views. To put that into perspective, we normally get about 100,000 per month…and we had a single day that did more than that.
If you haven’t read it yet, you should, just to have the proper context for listening to our first segment if nothing else. You can find that over at http://www.itinthed.com/16328/what-taking-my-daughter-to-a-comic-book-store-taught-me/
The internet is full of fascinating things and people, the vast majority of whom were outstanding and some really good conversations evolved…
…but then there are…the others. The people who love to get offended about anything. The ones just looking to pick a fight. The geniuses who don’t have kids but think they know everything about being a parent. The keyboard courage commandos who think being behind a screen means that they can say whatever they want.
We talked about them all, so enjoy the conversation and venting.
That took up the entire first segment, and so we didn’t get a chance to talk about other events or items that caught our eye this past week, so if you’re interested, you can catch the topics we were going to get to down at the bottom.
In our second segment, we started things off with a surprise phone call, prior guest Russ Dotson (he was on our first episode, as well as others) back stateside after a tour of duty overseas.
Then we dove in with Brad Hoos, also a repeat
offender guest, to talk about the various things he has going on these days. We discussed Hacker Fellows, a program recruiting recent Michigan and national college graduates to participate in a one-year program. The Hacker Fellows lasts one year and you’ll get to work at an amazing Michigan tech start-up. You’ll start with 6 weeks of training with your cohorts and dive into the start-up world by getting matched with a Michigan start-up. In short, you’ll learn with the best and brightest in Michigan as you start your career. Pretty decent concept, and you can learn more at http://www.hackerfellows.com/
You can also learn more about Brad and his endeavors at http://disciplinedentrepreneur.com/
Our third segment was supposed to be a dive in with our other guests…but turned into a collection of rants about people trying to tell business owners what they can and cannot do with their own companies, and a few other fun topics.
So then our fourth segment we dove in with Jimi and Nick from Momentum. Since Momentum was founded in 2010 by Jimi Plouffe and Adam Sgammotta, it has been our primary goal to deliver every client a digital strategy that will help them achieve their goals. We also maintain that our client remains our priority, and that we provide them with the education and solutions to move their business forward on the web.
Our first client, Michigan Head & Neck, remains a client today. We have since welcomed many new clients to the Momentum family who have partnered with us on their web design, development or internet marketing project and have recognized our passion, as well as our integrity. We never lose focus on what got us to where we are today, our clients. Check them out at http://www.seekmomentum.com/
And then yes…another infamous fifth segment. More ranting, more chaos, more mayhem, more fun and laughter.
Just such a fun night all around.
Bradley Hoos can be found at http://disciplinedentrepreneur.com/
Hacker Fellows can be found at http://www.hackerfellows.com/
Momentum can be found at http://www.seekmomentum.com/
As always, we can be found:
On the web: http://www.ITinTheD.com
On Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/
On LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/
On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/
On Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/
– This guy doesn’t understand what renouncing your citizenship actually means: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/im-so-so-glad-this-guy-exists
– Car dealership sucks, screws over pizza delivery guy: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/car-dealerships-prank-pizza-delivery-boy-backfires-28268383
– Amazon has to collect sales tax in Michigan now: http://www.wxyz.com/news/michigan-to-force-amazon-other-stores-to-collect-sales-tax
– The new remake of Stephen King’s “IT” is going to freak you out and be over the top: http://screencrush.com/cary-fukunaga-it-very-scary/
– The real lesson from the Sony hack? Delete your old stuff: http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/01/the-importance-of-deleting-old-stuff-another-lesson-from-the-sony-attack/
– It looks like a USB charger…but it’s a keylogger. And it can capture local wireless keyboards, too… http://threatpost.com/how-a-10-usb-charger-can-record-your-keystrokes-over-the-air/110367
– The new H1-B bill will, quote, “destroy the US workforce” http://www.computerworld.com/article/2868428/new-h-1b-bill-will-help-destroy-us-tech-workforce.html
– Radio Shack is (finally) prepping for bankruptcy: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/01/15/radio-shack-bankruptcy-report/21799233/
– Maryland couple lets their parents walk one mile home alone from a local park…and are being investigated for child neglect over it http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jan/15/maryland-couple-investigated-for-letting-children-/
– Terrorists use/used spammy subject lines to avoid NSA detection of their emails: http://qz.com/326927/to-avoid-detection-terrorists-purposely-sent-emails-with-spammy-subject-lines/
– Dude merges XBox One and PS4 into “playbox” http://hothardware.com/news/insane-engineer-ends-console-war-combines-xbox-one-and-ps4-into-epic-playbox-laptop
– A drone…that hunts other drones… http://rapere.io/
– Cartman Brah is heading to the White House. I’m only mildly joking: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2015/01/15/state-younion-youtube-creators-interview-president-obama-live-white-house
– They 3d printed a six story apartment building. No, seriously: http://3dprint.com/38144/3d-printed-apartment-building/ http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150118-winsun-builds-world-first-3d-printed-villa-and-tallest-3d-printed-building-in-china.html
– Amazon’s going to make and release 12 movies per year: http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/19/amazon-reveals-plans-to-produce-up-to-12-original-movies-a-year/